6.01.2011



I just bought a collection of fabrics from Uzbekistan. Yes, you ready that correctly. Uzbekistan. I'm going to be making some big changes in the coming weeks to Grace, my visual identity and the products I offer. I spend so much time looking at what other people are doing; blogs, magazines etc and have realized that while this is extremely gratifying, it has been taking me in so many different directions that I barely know what I stand for anymore.


Thus, I have realized it is time to return to the roots of Grace.


You see, when I was 14 years old, I met a woman at a craft market and she was selling the most gorgeous dresses, made from used sari silks. It absolutely made an impression on me. I became obsessed with East Indian textiles and in that moment vowed to myself that my first trip abroad would be to India. Well, fast forward to 1997, at the ripe age of 19, I actually did go to India and succeeded in stuffing my dusty backpack with sari's from across the continent. I'd be amiss if I didn't mention all of the tragic events that happened to me on that trip; robbery, flu and all kinds of other trouble. But, I did gain a lot too and I will be forever haunted by the ancient and exotic streets of Varanasi, the Ganges at sunrise, the goldeny light of Jaissalmer at sunset and the sounds of Hindi music bellowing over the streets with incense in the air. It was absolutely mesmerizing.


Shortly after that trip, I visited Japan and my love affair with Japanese textiles has been going strong now for over ten years. I am constantly amazed and surprised by what I discover from Japan, there is sooo much variety and they are all just so gorgeous. I am most reminiscent of the temples of Japan and the subtle and elegant gardens that surround them. Japanese maples and cherry blossoms. What a land of paradox.


Grace is about the textiles and always has been. It is about storytelling through fibre, reminiscent of  the dying vats of Japan and India; indigo, cochineal, saffron and bark. It is about the marketplaces of Rajasthan and Oaxaca and the souks of Marrakesh. The smells of Varanasi and the ancient glow of Jaissalmer as the sun rises and sets.  It is about searching the corners of the earth for fabrics that tell a story of where they have been and this great celebration of diversity, culture and creativity.

I am very excited about re-gaining my focus and I can't wait to share it with you as it develops.

What you can expect to see soon: Less housewares and an emphasis on a small line of bags and fashion accessories. Textiles from around the world; ikat, silks, woven fibre and leather. Feathers, tassels and great patterns inspired from many cultures including  Japan, Native American and Morocco.


xo
a

2 comments:

JORDAN ART GALLERY said...

That was a great story, thanks!

Lisa PN said...

amazing! so excited to see what you are cookin!