6.22.2013

Summer Solstice


Yesterday was the Summer Solstice and I can't think of a better reason not to work. Last week was rough - I submitted my taxes and my cat went missing (though he was found, thankfully). So, on Friday, since it was a gorgeous, perfect summer day, I decided to abandon my responsibilities and head to an amazing oasis, Toronto Island. The island is a special place, right downtown and accessible only by ferry with no cars allowed. But in order to get there you have to go through the hairiness of downtown, namely the financial district, the heavy traffic and it always feels like some sort of rite of passage. You have to really want it. 

The island is divided into three smaller 'islands' or sections since it is really all one island. Ward's has all these adorable little cottage's and a restaurant. Centre Island is the most crowded and has an amusement park. I prefer Hanlon's Point as this is where all the best hidden beach's are. I found this little oasis and strung up my hammock, had a little picnic, a dip in the lake and just daydreamed and soaked in the sun. Afterwards I sat in the park and ate fish and chips. A perfect afternoon and way to ring in the summer if you ask me. Do you ever do anything to mark the start of summer?

No comments: