10.09.2014

A Country Drive, Moroccan Style





                         





Since it's 'Throwback Thursday' I thought I would post a few photos from my trip this past summer since I didn't post many when it was actually happening. On my second day in Morocco I hired a driver to take me to a few places outside of Fez. The first stop was Volubilis - a city of Roman ruins that had been excavated in the past fifty years, circa 100 AD. I was lucky as it was a very moody day weather wise and hardly anyone was there. It allowed me to really soak in the landscape that would have not occured with busloads of tourists.  The landscape itself was amazingly gorgeous too - as you can see -lot's of rolling grassy hills and a wide expanse of sky with the Middle Atlas mountains in the distance. I hired a guide to explain all of the ruins to me. He was very cute, he kept advising me precisely where  I should stand so as to get the perfect composition with my photos. Also on this outing was a visit to the small city of Méknes, it's souk of which was dedicated a Unesco Wold Heritage Site and Moulay Idriss - a beautiful white washed city. My driver did not speak a word of English but we shared dates and almonds and at one point he pulled over the car, jumped out and and returned with a branch of raw chickpeas that he had picked. It was a lovely day.

No comments: