7.25.2011


I read an Etsy featured seller interview with handbag designer Andi of HoakonHelga and she had this piece of advice which I thought really hit the nail on the head, for me anyways:

"Most successful Etsy shops do not come instantly. There’s a lot of trial and error involved. If things aren’t selling, you can’t just give up after a week or so. Ask yourself why things aren’t selling… price? photos? the product itself? I have gone through many evolutions on Etsy to see what works best for me, and you need to do the same thing for you. Be patient and learn who you are as an artist/designer. Try new things and learn from what’s being viewed and sold in your shop. This can take some time. I’m still figuring it out! It’s definitely not the easiest path in life, but for me I couldn’t live any other way."

This is so true. To be honest with y'all I struggle with this every day. I started my company such a long time ago and so when I returned to it a few years ago after being in school for four years, I slowly realized that what I was doing wasn't exactly in line with my current aesthetic. It has been a strange process of figuring out what I want to do and what works. Every time I diverge down a new path of experimentation (screen printing for example or natural dyeing) I am extremely hard on myself because I feel strongly that everything should connect and be cohesive and focused. It is the rigidity in me. Things are definitely growing but it is nice to know that this is 'normal' so to speak. Whenever I check out a successful Etsy seller's shop, I always go back to the first page of their sold items to see how they evolved. It is true, successful shops are not born overnight. More often than not, their pictures were lousy and they started out doing things that were/are completely different from what they are doing now, that which is making them successful. So, if you are working hard on your Etsy shop, don't lose hope! Keep experimenting and finding out what works. As she says "I couldn't live any other way". Neither could I!

XO

p.s. Happy Monday! We are having a grey rainy day here in Toronto, preceded early this morning by the wicked thunder storm we had all been waiting for, for weeks. The photo above was taken on the west coast. On a day with much work to do, it makes me happy to think of my favourite place to be. I wish you all a productive  day, a happy and productive week!

No comments: