8.29.2013

Fabric Shopping



                           



When I was in New York I did a little fabric shopping and besides scouring flea markets and vintage shops, I spent some time in Manhattan's garment district. I had considered doing a bit of a guide to fabric shopping post but to be perfectly honest, I kind of lost patience and ended up only visiting about 5 shops. If you do go, I recommend googling and scouting out a few shops in advance. This is important for a few reasons, first, many of the shops are not at street level, they are located on the upper floors of non descript office towers. Second, there is SO MUCH and you will get tired and impatient, like me. Most of the shops are located around 39th and 40th and 8th and 9th - all pretty close to Penn Station. If you know what you are looking for, make a little list and go to it. Personally I know I can get most of what I need in Toronto as far as hardware, leathers etc go so I was on the hunt for a few really interesting prints. Everyone always goes to Mood and I'll concur, it is pretty good - though not my favourite. If you go to Mood though you will probably not be disappointed.  Aside from that I recommend M&J Trimmings for a mind boggling selection of trims, embellishments etc. Also, I personally love feathers so Eskay Novelty for nothing but. I also like this website as a good starting point before you embark on your journey. Good luck! 

No comments: